Your help is needed before Tuesday, May 12th at 1pm when HB 4025, legislation to require a high school civics course in Illinois, goes before the Senate Education Committee for the second time.
Please join CAC and #BringBackCivics by filing a witness slip as a proponent by following the steps below.
Thank you in advance for supporting civics education –again — in Illinois!
1. Click GA Dashboard (red link on left side under Reports & Inquiry)
2. Click Senate (left column)
3. Click Committee Hearings (drop down menu after clicking “House”)
4, Click Week (on the top bar)
5. Click Committee Name (Hint: Click word “Committee” at top of column to put Committee names in alphabetical order)
House Committee Name for HB4025: Education Committee
6. Click on the icon that looks like a sheet of paper at far right of page to view hearing details
7. Scroll to find the HB4025 and click on the icon at far right of page (pencil and paper) to create witness slip for that bill. There may be multiple pages.
8. Fill in all fields in Section I (unless marked optional). May put “none” for firm/business or agency and title. Or can put “Citizen” or “Concerned Citizen” for title. Section II may not apply.
9. Section III: Position Click Proponent to support HB4025
10. Section IV: Testimony: Check Record of Appearance Only — unless you will fax a written statement to 1-217-557-2165
11. Type the text, check box: I agree to the ILGA terms of agreement, click Create Slip
12. To create another witness slip: Click Create Another Witness Slip and begin again at Step 2
Letter to Representative Conroy from McCormick Tribune Foundation and Chicago Community Trust
House Bill 4025 aims to promote greater civic learning through a required civics course for all Illinois high school students.
NOTE: Registration is not required to submit a witness slip. However, to keep an online log of the witness slips you’ve submitted, you must register from the home page by clicking on “My Legislation.” The “My Legislation” tab is along the top or on the left side under Reports and Inquiry — just above GA Dashboard.
Registration will also automatically populate many of the fields on each witness slip you submit.